How to lodge a royalty return
The easiest way to lodge a return is through QRO Online.
You first need to create a personal account and verify your identity. If you will be lodging returns for other people, companies or trusts, you’ll need to link to their account. See the instructions on:
Follow these steps to lodge your quarterly or annual return or monthly instalment:
- Log in to QRO Online.
- Royalty for your personal account
- View accounts to choose a client’s account that you have permission to access.
- Select Lodgements from the side menu to see the return and monthly instalment (if applicable) obligations for each operation.
- Select the period and operation and click Lodge to start the process.
- Complete the fields in each tab. The information icon at the top right of each commodity tab links to more information for that commodity.
If the return or instalment calculates a total payable amount, you can view the liability immediately after lodgement by selecting Payments from the side menu.
Each lodged return or instalment has a unique transaction number, which is also the payment reference code for the transaction.
If the return calculates a credit amount (shown in brackets), there is no liability owing. These returns may display under Payments at a later date if we retain the credit amount to offset against a future liability.
These resources will help you lodge your returns:
- Mineral royalty annual package
- Petroleum royalty annual package
- QRO Online guides for royalty returns
- How to correct errors in royalty returns.
If you cannot lodge a quarterly or annual return online, complete one of the following forms and lodge by the due date:
- Mineral royalty return (Form R01.6)
- Petroleum royalty return for petroleum produced from 1 October 2020 (Form R02.5)
- Petroleum royalty return for petroleum produced on or before 30 September 2020 (Form R02.1).
You can also request a partially pre-filled form by emailing email@example.com.
- Understand the payment options.
- Read the QRO Online guides for royalty returns.
- Learn about transitional arrangements for petroleum royalty.