Skip to content
Queensland Government - Queensland Revenue Office
Queensland Government - Queensland Revenue Office

Mining and petroleum royalty payments are made to the owner of resources for the right to extract them. In Queensland, royalty is generally paid to us.

To extract minerals and petroleum in Queensland, you must first obtain a resource authority, this includes fossicking licence.

When you obtain a mineral development licence, mining lease, mining claim, petroleum lease or authority to prospect, we will automatically register you as a royalty client. We do this shortly after your holding is recorded in MyMinesOnline, the register kept by the Department of Resources.

Your liability is calculated using rates set out in Schedule 3 of the Mineral Resources Regulation 2013 and Division 3 of the Petroleum and Gas (Royalty) Regulation 2021. It can include late lodgement fees, penalty, civil penalty or unpaid interest.

If you have a resource authority to extract minerals or petroleum, you must pay royalty monthly, quarterly or annually, depending on the type of authority and the size of the activity.

Royalty must be paid by the due date of each monthly instalment (for clients who pay monthly) or relevant royalty return (for quarterly and annual returns).

Also consider…

Last updated: 16 March 2023